Click on the image of the textbook to go to the online version.
You will need your username and password to access this.
If you can't get yours to work use the generic one I gave you in class.
It is in your assignment notebook.
I also have it posted on my desk.
Click on the image of the syllabus to see policies and procedures from my class. You and your parent sign a copy of this at the beginning of the school year.
Elephant Toothpaste Demo
1. Place 20 oz pop bottle in a tray
2. Add 1 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide
3. Add food coloring if desired
4. Add a squirt of dish soap (Dawn works best)
5. Dissolve 1 tsp yeast in 2 Tbsp of warm water (in a separate container)
6. Add the yeast solution to the hydrogen peroxide
This is a good example of a catalyst at work. The yeast is the catalyst, speeding up the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.
Here is a video of the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" showing the same demo. They used different chemicals than me, but the reaction is pretty much the same.